Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Just Get Out & Do It

When I was in High School I spent my summer working at a Boy Scout camp.  One year I taught the Archery merit badge, and it was challenging.  The Scouts I had were given five hours to try and learn all of the information regarding Archery and get a good enough score at target practice.

Of course learning to use the bows safely is paramount, but having enough time to learn good form and score well enough can be challenging.

I was fortunate because a Scouter (and Adult Scout) had a "few" compound bows to lend me for the summer.  With the smaller draw pull of the compound bows the Scouts would get more out of their target practice.  I drove over a couple counties to this Scouter's home to borrow the "few" bows he had offered and came back with 39 bows.  The temporary loss of these bows hardly put a dent in his collection.

This fact I found quite peculiar, so I inquired about his massive collection, only part of which I had seen.

This Scouter's goal in life was that one of his many grandchildren would someday win a Gold Medal in Olympic Archery.

This goal, like the Toastmaster's goal to become a better speaker and leader on the way towards earning their Distinguished Toastmaster (DTM), isn't something that just happens.  You have to get out there and do the work....get in the practice.  The weekly Toastmasters meeting is just a start.  You need to seek out speaking and leadership activities in your work and volunteer life.  When opportunities come your way grab them!

It's hard to hit the target if you don't even pick up the bow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment