Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Like Your Voice


I must warn you, should you put pen to paper and sign the membership application for your local Toastmasters Club, a curse shall be placed upon you… *ominous voice*

Please do not be alarmed, for this curse will only bring you knowledge and skill. I am referring to the curse of noticing every time you begin a sentence with “um.”

We have an Ah-Counter at the club meeting patiently counting the number of “ah’s” and “um’s” we use as we speak. The result of his or her report is a fascinating and cringe-inducing insight into our speaking habits. For me, as soon as somebody started pointing it out week after week, I couldn’t stop hearing filler words everywhere. An old Larry King interview came on TV and I sat there transfixed not by the old footage or the weird 1970’s chairs they were sitting in, but by how many times expert interviewer Larry King said “um.” I couldn’t stop counting. I was obsessed. That’s the curse.

As curses go, this one is amusing. I promise you will be listening to a favorite podcast and counting the number of “um’s” on your fingers until you run out of fingers and try counting them in your head. I promise that you will flinch inside when a person asks you for directions and you begin your reply with “ummmmm.” And I promise the knowledge of this will clean up your daily conversations as well as the speeches you give.

Before I engage in everyday conversation my brain actually reminds me to avoid the unnecessary filler words. I realize I don’t have to stumble and stammer through a reply. Not only do I sound confident, it built up my self-esteem because I have always hated the sound of my voice. I needed that.

Now that you are duly warned, go forth and share your lack of filler words with the world. I promise you will like your new voice as much as I like mine. J

No comments:

Post a Comment