Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Toastmasters is a "Speaking Mirror"


There are many great qualities about being a member and attending a Toastmasters meeting on a regular basis. Regardless of your speaking skill or experience, Toastmaster has something to learn for everyone and at any level. For me Toastmasters is  a “speaking mirror.”


Often people mention how well I speak. It is a quality I noticed I had since I was in high school. As much as I did not “like” the idea of Speech and Debate classes, I did rather well. Nonetheless, despite how well people think I speak, I still have areas of refinement. And there is no better place to deeply see who and how we are as speakers than Toastmasters.
       
In most cases people enjoy to hear me speak. However, I do not get any usable feedback other than how much they enjoyed the experience. At Toastmasters, the role of listening is also a high end area of refinement. This feedback helps the speaker sharpen skills and “dull” areas alike.


Three areas of speaking where I need a bit of work are my time, my content, and my rehearsal time. I tend to go over time, have too much to say, and do not rehearse enough. These three aspects are interrelated. Working on one helps the others. But where does one really get that chance. And if they find it, how often does that opportunity arise?


Every week if you are a Toastmaster.


I want to speak better. To have the opportunity to speak with active listeners who are present to help and support is priceless. Each week I have the chance to grow as a speaker, a person, and a leader. There are people there who also want to help. They let me see the parts of my speaking I do not see. Maybe I do not want to see and am in denial.


No matter, when at Toastmasters I am “hearing” in my speaking mirror.


And I like what that mirror has to say.
-Alejandro Anastasio

No comments:

Post a Comment